Easter 2014

Easter 2014
Easter in St Andrews

Monday, September 19, 2011

California!

I am thankful for a great week together as a family.  This week included Disneyland twice (someone gave us a pass so we can visit whenever we want and just go for a couple hours so the girls don't melt down), our first beach visit, a sweet visit from Gigi (Sandy - Forrest's mom - who spent one day a week with the girls over the past 4 years), and getting to know more great people. As you can see in the pictures, we are trying to make the most of this time in California!!

Favorite story of the week:
Esther and I were going to do laundry and found our across the courtyard neighbor working really hard trying to saw a 1" diameter wooden peg in half long-ways.  He is Korean, and I hadn't met him yet.  Esther, who is always up for a project, said, "Dad, can't we help him?"  In my head, I immediately thought "no" but on second thought realized that we had a clamp, a better saw, a hammer, and a screwdriver that could all really help!  So we got our tools and offered to help.  Our conversation was less than fluid, but he understood what I was offering and we made quick work of that peg.  He was very pleased and explained to me that the 4 inch-long pegs were for a special Korean game - "Nuut Games" that they were to play that day because it was Korea's version of Thanksgiving Day.  I asked a couple of questions about the game, and next thing you know, we are playing - he and his 8 year old son vs. me and Esther.  We get the hang of the game and start playing.  We won the first game, they won the second.  The kids lost interest, so we didn't get to finish the rubber match, but a new relationship has begun.  He is a great guy who is in the Korean Doctor of Ministry program at Fuller.  Fuller has a whole Korean school and many Korean families are around.  I have also officially learned my first Korean words - "Hello" is On Yiong Hi Sai Oh (sic), or something like that! 

Orientation starts this week, so the privilege of so much time as a family is going to be changing.  I'm not excited about that.

I hope all is well for you!

Watermelon preschool girl!

Walking with the fam to preschool - so fun!

Disneyland parade time!

Waving to the princesses on the float - so exciting!

Mickey Mouse Roller Coaster with Gigi!  Bella and Esther rode in a car alone before this!  Bella makes the height requirement by about 1 inch.

Manhattan Beach - all to ourselves!

2 comments:

  1. I am loving every minute of reading this....

    Miss you guys!

    -Will

    ReplyDelete
  2. That so awesome! Two of my roommates here in Taiwan are Korean and I got to go out with one on Thanksgiving as well!! This is Crystal Mulloy by the way!! love you guys and praying for this new adventure!!

    ReplyDelete